- What’s Cooking? Solar Stoves with Julie Greene
- Get $5,000 for Your Education; Give $5,000 to Your Cause
- Bloomberg Charity Partner Receives Extra Support From the Mayor of London
- Booz Allen Hamilton Honored at Washington Business Journal Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Sex Discrimination Act Anniversary: What is Romania Getting Right When It Comes to Diverse Tech Talent?
- 400,000 Reasons to Be Thankful
- Save Money and Energy This Holiday Season With Tips From National Grid
|Sustainable Business - Building A Sustainable Environment|
Chicago Tribune 9/30/2010 - http://tribads.chicagotribune.com/jump_pages/mediaplanet/092910/index.htm
Sustainability is on a Roll
Sustainability is on a roll and the competitive marketplace is a big driver. When we buy products or services, we are buying both the good and the bad associated with their entire life cycle. Stepping up and taking ownership of supply chain impacts, direct impacts and waste streams gives companies multiple paths for making positive sustainability improvements. There are a few key areas we will address here: greening the supply chain, sustainable green buildings, energy efficiency and renewable energy.
Greening the Supply Chain
The driver for implementing green requirements will emerge from IT innovations such as cloud computing that offer ways of harnessing data in ways that were not previously accessible. As a result, supply chain accountability will organically evolve from the old mainframe based infrastructure to an integrated green machine. Once this gets rolling, greening of supply chains will become inevitable in the cloud-connected world. Each company and organization should be asking itself: “Are we ready?” and “Are we getting ready fast enough?”
Sustainable Green Buildings
Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Despite the programs driving these changes, the principle strategy in achieving a sustainable building and realizing the goal of zero net energy remains the same. Energy conservation is the most critical component for both new and existing buildings in maximizing the investment in renewable energy and achieving a sustainable future.